Wednesday, August 1, 2007

on death and dying, bunnykins, produce

Death in the family always changes the dynamics in a very startling way. Losing my Dad was so traumatic. He really was what a Dad should be-there was never any question how unconditionally he loved his kids-he thought the world of us and we always knew how proud he was of us. Dave has become like him more and more with each passing year, becoming more patient with the kids and he always loves playing, reading, etc with them. Our family has changed forever with Dad gone, but life continues and we have found new ways to be a family, as we continue to grow. A good friend of mine lost her Mom a year before Dad, and she also continues to struggle with this change in many of the same ways, although with her it is even more poignant, as her Mom lived with her until she died. I think there is nothing worse than losing a child, but losing a parent or a spouse comes a close second. Now with the severe illness of my father in-law, our family sits on the brink of another change-however the family is split as to what should happen.

On a lighter note, I have had no time to blog or do much as popper is sick, but not too bad, and the stress of the family stuff is also weighing heavily. I have been eyeing up some bunnykins online, resisting buying, but looking. They are super complicated to collect, you practically need a phd to understand the backstamps meanings, as well as plate/cup/bowl designs in order to determine their age. There are tons of variations. I have a few sets and some egg cups that I am pleased with, but my prized set is the MIB set from the late 1950's. It even has a catalogue and colouring book. I got it for a song, it was such a deal. I also have one egg cup from early 50's that I am pleased with. I never would have thought I would collect these crazy things, but something piqued my interest to look at them, and there was no turning back.

Fresh produce is more bountiful in the markets, with is nice. I miss the deals we got in Ontario of field produce and road stands-and those were just picked fresh, BC should be as good. I think I will make a trifle or something with fresh blueberries for our friends this weekend.

No comments:

google

Google