Monday, August 6, 2007

Moroccan chicken, fun weekend, fall in Ontario

I made a Moroccan chicken tagine this evening, with fruited basmati rice and orange pepper salad. It was a fantastic recipe, via one of my favorite chef's, Michael Smith. It was so good, the flavours were very spicy and vibrant. I changed it very slightly, only by leaving out the almond butter and adding tomatoes. We will definitely make it again. Even the kids ate it!

It has been a cool quiet day, doing laundry(mountains after having a half dozen guests in our house), went to Chapter's to look for a book and Dave getting a new bike helmet. The kids are almost ready for school. They have most of their clothes, shoes and backpacks, just need one lunch bag and they all need hair cuts, even my curly boy will finally get one. I will take them in about a week probably. We had fun this weekend despite the frequent phone calls about Dave's Dad putting a cloud over things. We swam and sunned, the kids dug a large pit on the beach and attempted to fill it with water! It kept them busy! We all left the beach for ice cream and were just finishing when the rain started, so we timed it well. We all headed back home for supper, and we actually got the kids in bed so we could relax and have an adult evening too.It was fun, but the next day the kids were all super tired, which always means some sort of crankiness.However, we are always glad to see our friends.

I am contemplating canning things, I just worry they may not travel well for the move, I will see. I miss having more of a garden. I always remember the year our pumpkins grew around the fence and into the neighbours yard! It was so funny when their kids asked if they could have the pumpkins on their side of our fence! How could we say no?! We had so many pumpkins that year it was comical. The sunflowers too, grew higher than the 8 foot fence, by a good foot I might add. It was quite the spectacle. That was the same year I took the gorgeous pictures in mid November when the leaves finally fell from our maple trees. The girls dove and rolled in the leaves for hours till we finally bagged them. They were such big, gorgeous leaves. They were so large I mailed one to Dad, I knew he would get a kick out of it. Fall in Ontario in general was unlike any I have seen. The colours are so vivid, like you would see in magazines. I driving in the valley's in MB years ago thinking they were pretty, but they were absolutely dull in comparison, especially as I travelled along cty rd 2 north, or south along the lake. The orange, yellow, red, purple shades are so bright, and in such contrast to the red and brown rock faces. Every where there was corn, cider, apples, pumpkins and gourds for sale. I miss this season more than any other.

No comments:

google

Google